Thursday, May 10, 2012

Finding Connections

This imminent reading activity (described in the previous post) will begin on July 1st, however, myself and a few others have been priming for it by completing an intense six-month reading of the Bible, cover-to-cover. It has been an interesting journey that has brought up many connections and questions.

This morning I finished the book of the prophet, Zechariah, a compelling and confusing compilation of narrative, prophecy, and apocalyptic. I also am currently preparing for a two-week, intensive module on the book of Revelation, which requires me to read through the book 8 times (7 would seem more appropriate, but alas...). The connection of the imagery in Zechariah to the imagery of Revelation is intriguing. Zechariah employs the use of colored horses, horns, lamp-stands, lamps, trumpets, olive trees, and ethereal messengers that have a propensity for measuring things (see also Ezekiel 40-48). One-third is used to describe the number that will be preserved. And so on. Suffice it to say that there are several areas of continuity. Though I must still ponder what these images might mean (a task that is by no means as simple as many might lead you to believe), I find it meaningful to notice and point out areas of close continuity.

The Prophet Zechariah, by Michelangelo

 So what am I getting at? Simply this: One of the most important ways that we learn and retain information is by making connections. As surface level as they might be, naming continuous themes and images throughout Scripture builds a foundation upon which we can begin to see patterns; these patterns produce context and context help us discover meaning.This is a simple but effective strategy.

Intrigued? I hope so. Hop on board; follow this blog; join me in this fun project. I am certain that it will be a fascinating learning experience.

7 comments:

  1. Derek,
    This journey sounds challenging and yet holds within it a great excitement as to the discovery of God's Word for us personally.

    I will be following your blog and looking forward to how His Word will be revealed to a greater degree in my heart!

    Greg G

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Greg. I looking forward to reading your feedback.

      Derek

      Delete
  2. The other night, I was teaching teenagers on the story of Jesus' Baptism. I asked questions about the symbolism of the dove, and one of the teenagers quickly pointed out the connection to the Noah and the Flood story, and then the teenagers worked out the connection of baptism and the Great Flood. It was great to see their imaginations sparked and activated by the complexity and beauty of Scripture. Goes to show the importance of knowing the entire canon when investigating a particular portion!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tell me about the schedule you'll be using for reading the Bible beginning July 1. I've tried and tried to read the Bible through, and can't get myself to do it. Start. Stop. Start. Stop. A little motivation and discussion from this blog's community may be just what I need.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jeremy,

      I plan on posting the reading schedule some time next week. Basically it will consist of reading through the Torah 5 times in 180 days. The basic structure is that there is six days of reading followed by one day of reflection for 180 days.

      I hope it will be a workable solution for you. I have been in the practice of reading 7-8 chapters of Scripture a day for the past 3 years. It has been an excellent discipline for me; it may form your habits as well.

      Delete
  4. Are you planning on having discussion at the seminary or maybe with your church? I don't know if people need another bible study, but just a question.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alec,

      This is more of a private read through that will allow those interested to interact with the text in different ways for the purpose of comprehension and retention. Certainly I would assume that some discussion will be had regarding the results. But, this is mostly a breeding ground for reading methods and practices. The idea is to participate in an intensive read through of portions of the Scripture with some accountability via the blog. This will all make more sense when I post some of the strategies and the reading schedule.

      (By the way, I am open to any meetings that might spring up on the Seminary campus as a result.)

      Delete