Saturday, August 11, 2012

The First Week of Month Two

Well, as I am sure you all have noticed, we began this month in Exodus. I had hoped to send out a precursory message about this, but this will just have to do. You will notice if you look through the rest of the readings that we start with a different book each month. Here is the intention:

 
Imagine a solar system with a sun and four planets. If someone were to assign a book of the Torah to each of these hypothetical celestial bodies, most would set Genesis in the role of the Sun with the four other books rotating around it. There are several good reasons to do this. However, there are also good reasons to allow the other books of Torah to take on that role.

So now imagine that, much like the Copernican revolution, we have discovered that Exodus might be the center of this Torah-solar system. This is what I want you to consider. How does the rest of Torah relate to, re-emphasize, and generally serve to clarify the themes of the book of Exodus? Put it at the center and see how it reorients your thoughts.

Now, if you are an advocate for another book being the Sun of Torah, fear not! Each book will receive its month of exploration.

FYI: I personally think it should be Leviticus (which is not a surprise for anyone who has spent some time with me in discussion). And, perhaps, if I ever have seven to eight weeks (or months?)to converse with each of you, I could lay out my argument for such a view. But, until that time, just assume I am right.

Another note: the reflection day has changed from Saturday to Sunday as a result of the double reflection day at the end of the month.

I hope to give you a screen shot of my extended outline of Exodus tomorrow afternoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment