Monday, August 27, 2012

Re-envisioning Micah 6:8

Well everyone, it has been awhile. My job was a bit hectic this last week so I could not find the time to post. I hope you are all doing well as we approach the end of the second reading.

I thought I would take the time to share an insight that occurred as I was reading through Micah for a one-on-one Bible study that I am doing with a good friend of mine. A very popular verse in Micah, which has been set to a tune, is 6:8: "He has told you, O [hu]man, what is good; and what does the Lord require of you? To do justice and to love mercy (probably better translated "covenant faithfulness") and to walk humbly with your God."

As I reflected on this verse in my past, I realized that, as the only verse I was actually familiar with in the book, it was the one verse I looked for as I read. I found myself skimming the rest of the book until I arrived at this familiar territory. This time, I was surprised what caught my attention. Read these verses that lead up to it in Micah 6:3-5:

3 “My people, what have I done to you?
    How have I burdened you? Answer me.
I brought you up out of Egypt
    and redeemed you from the land of slavery.
I sent Moses to lead you,
    also Aaron and Miriam.
My people, remember
    what Balak king of Moab plotted
    and what Balaam son of Beor answered.
Remember your journey from Shittim to Gilgal,
    that you may know the righteous acts of the Lord.” (NIV from Biblegateway.com)

I found myself thinking, "Hey, I remember what Balak plotted! I remember the journey from Shittim to Gilgal! I remember the righteous acts of the Lord!" (My thoughts were very exciting: hence the exclamation marks.) Here, Micah is illustrating the current situation (Samaria and Jerusalem are being threatened with invasion by Assyria) with a story from Torah. Balak, in Numbers, was plotting the downfall of the Israelites and sought to curse them by means of Balaam. The God of Israel's reminder to these people is that they were delivered through this into the land of Canaan, namely to Gilgal.

Now read what precedes the famous Micah 6:8, 6:6-7:

With what shall I come before the Lord
    and bow down before the exalted God?
Shall I come before him with burnt offerings,
    with calves a year old?
Will the Lord be pleased with thousands of rams,
    with ten thousand rivers of olive oil?
Shall I offer my firstborn for my transgression,
    the fruit of my body for the sin of my soul? (NIV from Biblegateway.com)

Micah, having called the people of Israel to remember the righteous acts of the Lord from Shittim to Gilgal, asks the question of what is required as an offering in the act of repentance. I have described above the plot of Balak, but here we should remember the moral failing of Israel at the advice of Balaam to fraternize with the women of Moab and Midian, which resulted in idolatry. In that case, one thing was "required" of the Israelites. But, this "one thing" was not an offering, which is strange since Numbers details a number (Ha!) of sacrifices for cleansing (see chapter 18). What was required to save the people of Israel was the just and covenant-faithful action of one person to stop the plague that was sweeping through Israel. I would suggest that it is not the death of the man, Zimri, who brought the Midianite woman into the camp that caused the plague to cease, but the covenant-faithful act of Phineas to do what others were apparently too scared to do: namely, to punish the deliberate sin of another Israelite for the sake of the preservation of the community. 

It was not a calf or a ram, not a thousand rams, or ten thousand rivers of oil that would bring about God's mercy. The Lord requires justice, covenant-faithfulness, and humility. Micah does not call us to abstract concepts, but to actions that are rooted in the narrative of Israel. I challenge you all to branch out a bit and see the veins of the prophets filled with Torah: the heart of the Hebrew Scriptures.

3 comments:

  1. I've never considered the translation of mercy as covenant faithfulness or faithful love. I've heard this so many times, but never looked it up. It caught my eye here though, because when I have heard that translation I thought it was normally in relation to God, not man.

    So I looked it up in good ole BDB and didn't see either of those as an option. For Micah 6:8 they list, "kindness (especially as extended to the lowly, needy and the miserable), mercy." I'm wondering if this translation is more like an urban (church) myth that gets perpetuated. But, if you do look at II. "of God section" in BDB it does start to list a few examples of covenant faithfulness along side a whole bunch of others.

    Just something that I will think about. I have the 1979 edition of BDB.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alec, you make a great point. What I would suggest is that "hesed" can be translated as kindness or mercy, but not in the sense we would use them in English. Demonstrating "hesed" is demonstrating the kindness or mercy that mimics God's covenant faithfulness. As such, kindness is not to be boiled down to a pat on the head, nor is it simply being forgiving; kindness/mercy is an act that seeks to preserve the integrity of the covenant community as a whole. Thus, while Phineas' act is a violent one, it preserves the integrity of the covenant community by cutting off the member that mocks the covenant with his behavior. To sum up: I think there is a false wedge driven between this word describing the action of humans and the action of God.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good point. But guess what, you had me reading Hebrew and thinking about these things before I even had breakfast. So congratulations. I'm thinking a little more clearly now, but I do like my point about "church myths" and how many things get throne around in church circles and even by pastors without getting questioned too much. Maybe I'm watching mythbusters too much right now.

    ReplyDelete